Digital Magazine

6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge)

This looks interesting, I’d like to see it in light weight mini action bolt rifle.
Basically a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm its meant to be good out to 1000 yds.

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/6mm-arc/detail.htm?lid=18076

1 Like

It looks like it would be alot of fun out of an Ar15.

1 Like

Would be a fantastic light weight Fallow, goat and chamois rifle.

1 Like

Sorry but i can’t see it offering any advantage over its daddy, except to generate new sales.
They even admit in their blurb it delivers the same performance as the 6.5 grendel but with different bullets.
It’s designed around the ar operating system which limits cartridge length and diameter. Without those constraints much better designs can be produced think the prc family.
It may be a 1000m target number but certainly not half that as a hunting round.
Fall in love with the numbers not the hype.
But then im a bit of a grinch, and think the 350 legend is a waste of space as well.

2 Likes

Yes, it was designed to take the AR out to a 1000.

1 Like

Thats what I am thinking as well.

The 6 mm ARC is faster and flatter shooting, what that means in the real world I dont know.
But if it gets picked up by the military there should be loads of cheap ammo.

1 Like

Definitely worth keeping an eye on, hopefully it makes its way to nz

1 Like

Be good to see what rifles it will be offered in.

1 Like

and the advantage over a bog std EBRG/twoforfree is???
I sometimes shake my head at where new cartridges are heading or at what they are hyped up to do…the fast twist .223s are a classic case in point,they are now doing what the .22hp savage was doing years ago… as for the new fandangled rounds poking a fat heavy slug out at subsonic velocity…ummm 44/40 .45lc 32/20 and MANY others did it waaay before these new kids were ever dreamed up.
300 blackout/murmer etc etc VS 7.62x39mm is another classic…they do the same job if you level the playing field with good ammunition…if you doing a new build and reloading the difference is even less…Wingman on other forum recently rebarreled one with a .30 cal barrel…now there is absolutely stuff all in that comparison in favour either way.

1 Like

Yeh I hear what you’re saying. Once you get past the fancy names and compare ballistics there’s often only subtle differences. Much of it is simply refining existing loads.

I do like the developments however, keeps it interesting!

1 Like